Wednesday, February 25, 2009

the blank wall is slowly eating my soul

Jparks and I have owned our house for over a year now and the living rooms walls are still bare. Now that I'm spending hours upon hours every day staring at these walls, I'm starting to think maybe it's time to do something to them. But what? The previous owners had a picture split over three canvasses hung and that worked well. But the previous owners are friends of ours and it's already stalker-ish enough that we now own their house, I think decorating it similar to how they had it would be a overkill. If we decorated like them, then all that's left is for jparks and I to get pregnant because they just had a baby. Oh crap, wait.

Here's a picture of the wall in the living room. The room has high ceilings and the wall goes on forever. There are two speakers hanging on it (which I don't think work right now) so whatever I hang will need to be centered between them though not as high. The wall isn't white, it's a dark cream color and the other walls are various shades of brown.

help

I was thinking of doing a collage wall, but have no idea how to get started on it. And now I'm thinking that all the holes that a wall of pictures would leave will be a real pain if we ever decide that we're tired of it. But I'm also afraid that one large picture will be too visually heavy for that spot because it would have to be tall as well as wide.

Tips for how to do the collage wall so that it looks intentional and not too ADD? Or should I skip the collage wall because it's more work than it's worth? If I'm skipping it, what the hell should I do? Should I just hire an interior designer? And if so, how do I find one that doesn't specialize in tacky?

Also, we are over that dark couch on that wall. It's too small and a larger one would be better for many reasons. But the one jparks wants is stupid expensive and won't fit through our front door and the one I want is unknown to me because I'm too scared to go couch shopping. Dude, couches are not cheap and spending money right now gives me hives. (let's ignore the fact that I just mentioned hiring an interior designer which costs money)

So, what do you suggest?

(And now that I'm looking at this, I see that my living room is void of color. Crap, I want to paint again)

16 comments:

  1. What about something like this: http://gifts.redenvelope.com/frames/hallgalleryframeset-25385203?viewpos=3&trackingpgroup=rfffv&catid=rfffv

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, this is the three picture thing, but it's got a different spin on it:

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UmvDyhDwNUo/SD2n5dltSVI/AAAAAAAAAtc/xYVy9px4XVQ/s400/1_wall_example.jpg

    OR you could do one long mantle and set different size pictures leaning against the wall mixed with like vases or candles or some other things you have laying around the house. I have a friend that has this above her couch and it looks really good and if you get some bigger frames it can take up a good bit of wall space.

    And what if you got a lamp for over in the corner to add some color?

    Also, for hanging collages, Martha Stewart has some good tips on how to do it. You can cut paper out in the sizes of the frames and then tape those up and get them how you want them and then put the nail in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I have it on good authority that the previous owners had three canvasses up there because:

    1. One canvas would look like a nose when combined with the speaker eyes and couch mouth.
    2. The canvasses were actually disguised acoustic foam to reduce reverb.

    If you have no need for acoustic baffling and don't have a suitable tryptych, this kind of thing might work:
    http://dalidecals.com/product.php?productid=145&cat=2&page=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. if it were my house, I'd paint horizontal stripes. The top stripe would be a really dark color so the speakers would get lost in them... Whatever you put up there is gonna compete!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a similar big blank wall, which I plan to do the photo collage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suck at interior design but please keep us posted on what you do. I have a huge wall in my bedroom (in which I've lived almost 3 years) that has nothing. And I need help too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as the holes left by hanging pictures, that is really easy to fix. One word for ya toothpaste. You rub some toothpaste into the hole it hardens and ta-da no more hole. They also make compounds that do the same thing and you can get them in the same color as your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are a book person right? shelves with a selection of books that say something about you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Proposal:



    (In case the image didn't work: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/37207/regan-smiley.jpg )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm completely ignoring the huge blank walls in our bedrooms. I can't expend the energy at this point to figure out what to do with them. And even though the walls in our living areas aren't blank, I'm still not wild about them. Like you, I keep on wanting to do something different with them, but I'm too scared to commit. Also, I resent that there's one HUGE fuckoff wall shared by the dining room and formal living room, because that severely limits paint color options and wall hanging thing options.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, I meant to only hyperlink this part photosprintedoncavas.com. Not sure what happened there....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the mantle idea, but put it high enough so that reaching toddlers can't pull things down on their heads. Shelves behind the couch would be nice, but again toddler....
    Too bad it's an evil textured wall.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could you paint an accent wall and then do a collage of black-and-white prints in varying sizes over the couch?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Also, this doesn't solve your blank-wall problem, but if you are looking to do a photo collage, staircase walls are good for that because you don't have to worry about lining pictures up straight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    I know this is months after the fact, but I just glanced at your photo, and was really inspired by the pillow on the tan sofa. Why not draw three big circles on the wall and paint them to match the pillow. I think it would look great. You could even add a self in the middle of each if you wanted.

    ReplyDelete